Chicken in spicey tomato & mascarpone sauce.
So in our house pasta is gold. Its Dan’s ‘one-meal-for-the-rest-of-your-life’. It’s really versatile for us and B and its something we lean towards on the regs. – mostly for ease as well as knowing everyone will be happy and full. – hence our ever growing waistlines.
Rather than spending a small fortune on the tiny pots of sauce, I’ve decided to start making them from scratch. – So here’s one I made earlier. *Gets out Blue Peter badge*
After watching the saucestress that is Nigella, I made a take on one of her little blinders, although I think this was slightly less sexy. I also don’t do well with portion control and as you’ve probably guessed by this point, like most things, I wing it.
- Spaghetti (I’m hoping you know portion control with this one unlike some people in our household) – can be any type of pasta, this was all we had.
- 2 Chicken breasts (or not) (or if you’re vegan and you’ve told everyone you’re vegan because you’re vegan if we didn’t know. In that case you’ll probably want to fuck off the cheese too.)
- Salt – chill out on this if it’s for the little humans
- Half a tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 Anchovies
- 3 Cloves of garlic
- Chilli flakes/puree – I used both because 🔥 but also chill on this if it’s for smalls.
- Fresh basil – managed to keep this bad boy plant alive for longer than a week so using it in everything from breakfast to supper. (homemade pesto is next on the agenda)
- 3 Tablespoons of mascarpone (ish)
- A good grating of parmesan
- Grated cheddar to add after if you’re a fellow cheese fiend.
MethodPut spaghetti in salted boiling water
- Dice up chicken breasts and add to oil in a pan
- Add garlic (and onion if your partner doesn’t hate them), chilli, anchovies (and don’t tell partner if they’re ‘fish are friends, not food – soz DB), salt, basil and cook till chicken is browned
- Add chopped tomatoes, let simmer for a few minutes till chicken is cooked through
- Add mascarpone and parmesan and stir through
- Turn down heat till spaghetti is ready, lightly drain and transfer to pan.
- Stir thoroughly, add more tomato/mascarpone depending on preference of flavour/consistency
- Serve / sprinkle cheese if desired.
Might actually start taking notice of what the hell goes into our meals with some relative accuracy now. And then proceed to take obnoxious fancy photos.
Disclaimer – Most of my presentation is dog shite. But what they lack in aesthetics they make up for in flavour – or so Dan tells me in a bid to make me keep trying…
No one likes a quitter!