This is BY FAR one of my favourite meals we’ve made together. Beaux has got completely obsessed with cooking recently and this is a great one to get tiny humans involved in. Also it helps that they chose what they eat so it hopefully assures you they’ll eat everything on their plate.
My portions are never really followed to the book, mostly because looking back and forth at a page or screen kills my creative vibe. I roughly followed this recipe off the bbc goodfood website, but you could just wing it with ease!
You will need:
- Plain flour
- Breadcrumbs (we used golden breadcrumbs in alliance with the bearded captain)
- 2 Eggs (the recipe said 3, we used two and that was plenty)
- 2 fillets of white sustainable fish (we used cod – obviously depending on how much you want to make adjust the portion sizes – 2 fillets was enough for 4 wraps and 5 fingers frozen)
- Tortilla wraps
- Fillings – we used tomato, avocado and cucumber (again I’m leaving portion size and preference to you and your tribe)
- Garlic mayo – garlic purée and mayo (same as above, but that was all we had)
You’ll need to set up two prep stations, this was the part Beaux loved most.
The first one for the fingers.
- Cut the fish into… fingers, we made a few a little chunkier.
- Get a plate of flour, beaten eggs in a bowl (Beaux’s forte) a plate of breadcrumbs and a bowl/plate for the ready fingers. (Bear in mind you may need more flour/crumbs after awhile)
- Cover fish in flour completely – ‘give them a bath’ (fully immersed), roll in the crumbs and then lay to rest.
- Place in pan of oil, a good glug will do. Once they’re browned on each side (compare them to the golden originals if necessary.) Lay to rest on kitchen roll to remove excess oil)
- While this was going on Beaux was at the other prep station
- I got her to mix the mayo and mash the avo which she loved! – and loved tasting to make sure it was ok.
- Lay it all out, testing the wrap while you wait… and let them load it up so you know it’ll be a hit
Et voila! A very happy last lunch for the 2 year old!
I could only manage 1.5 wraps but she had 3! We put the rest in a Tupperware to freeze and she requested them the next day! You could definitely mix it up with chicken which will be our next wrap battle!