“New Years Eve, The evening of little miracles. Peel away the exploding fireworks, roaring countdowns and ridiculous resolutions and what you are left with is hope. Small human hope. The hope of better days, of fresh starts and perhaps, if you are very lucky, a kiss.”
With 2018 coming to a close I’ve seen a lot of highlights of people’s best bits. And while I’ve had many I could show, I know its not the case for so many. This time last year was really really tough, the new year felt daunting, ‘could this get worse?’ (which it did).
We started the new year with our eyes closed, holding our breathes and just hoping for the best, it’s only in the last 2 months, if not less, has it felt like I could finally take a deep breathe and start enjoying life. So to anyone struggling, financially, mentally or physically, I am with you, you’re in my thoughts and I hope 2019 is kind to you and yours.
This year has taught me so much about myself and so much more about those around me. I’m excited to see what the new year has in store for us and even more excited to finally be able to spend some time with those that mean the most. Life really is for living, I can see that now.
I’ve put this here as a reminder to myself, and you, all the things I needed to hear this time last year and every day/month since.
- Life isn’t fair but its still good.
- Over prepare, then go with the flow.
- You were someone before you were a mum and that person matters.
- Feel what you need to feel and then let it go, don’t let it consume you.
- You can tell a lot about a person by the way they handle tangled fairy lights.
- You’re only confined by the walls you build yourself.
- Someday you’ll look back and think, LOOK, that, right there, that was strength, that was survival.
- Take care of yourself. It’s part of taking care of your kids.
- Life is too short to waste time hating something. Things either matter to you or they don’t.
- Coffee makes the world less shitty sip by sip.
- Someone you met 3 weeks ago can have better intentions than someone you met 3 years ago. Don’t let time fool you.
- Everything can change in the blink of an eye. You’re literally one decision away from changing your entire life.
- Anxiety occurs when you think you have to figure everything out all at once. Breathe. Focus on the next small step. Over time, these small steps will add up to big transformations. Baby steps.
- It’s ok if the only thing you did today was survive.
- Sometimes it takes 10 years to get that one year that will change your life.
- Never underestimate the power of simply withdrawing your energy from a personal situation or relationship.
- You don’t have to win every argument, agree to disagree.
- Cry with someone, it’s more healing than crying alone.
- Be a good person but don’t waste time to prove it.
- When it comes to carbs, resistance is futile.
- Make peace with your past so it wont fuck up your present.
- It’s ok to let your children see you cry.
- Don’t compare your life to others’. You have no idea what their journey is all about and everyone is on their own chapter.
- Never settle for ordinary love. Make sure that shit is weird. Make sure its fucking magical.
- It’s amazing how long you can survive off Supernoodles.
- You can get through anything if you stay put in today.
- A writer writes. If you want to be a writer, write.
- When it comes to going after what you love in life, don’t take no for an answer.
- Burn the Jo Malone candles, use the nice sheets, use the fancy bath bombs. Don’t save it for a special occasion. Today is special.
- Be eccentric now. Don’t wait for old age to wear purple and have a blue rinse.
- No one is in charge of your happiness except you.
- Frame every so-called disaster with these words – “in 5 years, will this matter?”.
- Always choose life.
- What others think of you is really none of your business.
- Time heals almost everything, give time time.
- However good or bad a situation is, it will change.
- Don’t trade your authenticity for approval.
- Believe in miracles.
- Life is too short to worry about what people who exist in a free app on your phone think of you.
Wishing you a happy and healthy New Year.